Lincoln Feed

Lincoln Anticipated His Assassination

It Is Widely Believed That Lincoln Anticipated His Assassination- 

The probe used by Dr. Barnes to locate the ball and the fragments of Lincoln’s skull removed at autopsy. Part of the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology (AFIP)

According to Ward Hill Lamon, Lincoln’s friend and biographer, three days before his assassination Lincoln discussed with Lamon and others a dream he had, saying:

“About ten days ago, I retired very late. I had been up waiting for important dispatches from the front. I could not have been long in bed when I fell into a slumber, for I was weary. I soon began to dream. There seemed to be a death-like stillness about me. Then I heard subdued sobs, as if a number of people were weeping. I thought I left my bed and wandered downstairs. There the silence was broken by the same pitiful sobbing, but the mourners were invisible. I went from room to room; no living person was in sight, but the same mournful sounds of distress met me as I passed along. I saw light in all the rooms; every object was familiar to me; but where were all the people who were grieving as if their hearts would break? I was puzzled and alarmed. What could be the meaning of all this? Determined to find the cause of a state of things so mysterious and so shocking, I kept on until I arrived at the East Room, which I entered. There I met with a sickening surprise. Before me was a catafalque, on which rested a corpse wrapped in funeral vestments. Around it were stationed soldiers who were acting as guards; and there was a throng of people, gazing mournfully upon the corpse, whose face was covered, others weeping pitifully. ‘Who is dead in the White House?’ I demanded of one of the soldiers, 'The President,’ was his answer; 'he was killed by an assassin.’ Then came a loud burst of grief from the crowd, which woke me from my dream. I slept no more that night; and although it was only a dream, I have been strangely annoyed by it ever since.”

On the day of the assassination, Lincoln had told his bodyguard, William H. Crook, that he had been having dreams of himself being assassinated for three straight nights. Crook advised Lincoln not to go that night to Ford’s Theatre, but Lincoln said he had promised his wife they would go. As Lincoln left for the theater, he turned to Crook and said, “Goodbye, Crook.” According to Crook, this was the first time he said that. Before, Lincoln had always said, “Good night, Crook.” Crook later recalled: “It was the first time that he neglected to say 'Good Night’ to me and it was the only time that he ever said 'Good-bye’. I thought of it at that moment and, a few hours later, when the news flashed over Washington that he had been shot, his last words were so burned into my being that they can never be forgotten.”

After Lincoln was shot, Mary was quoted as saying, “His dream was prophetic.”

The Civil War Parlor

Lincoln's house

Today, June 11, in 1850, Abraham Lincoln decided on a little home-improvement project.

That he wasn’t exactly a regular customer at home depot shows the, somewhat stilted, letter he wrote to order the supplies he needed:

“I wish to build a front fence, on a brick foundation, at my house. 

I therefore shall be obliged, if you will, as soon as possible, deliver me bricks of suitable quality, and sufficient number to build such foundation, fifty feet long; of proper width, and depth, under ground, and about two feet above ground.”

The order was sent to Nathaniel Hay who was in the brick business in Springfield. 

And if that name sounds familiar…Nathaniel was an uncle to John Hay, who at that time was only twelve years old but who’d become President Lincoln’s secretary exactly ten years later.

From allthinsglincoln on Tumblr

Phantom gunshot

Phantom Gunshot | Civil War Family from John Fulton on Vimeo.

Shopie Koerner hears a gunshot outside her home in Belleville, Illinois the night before Lincoln is shot in Washington DC. Coincidence?

Her husband, Gustav Koerner, was a journalist, lawyer, politician, judge, and statesman in Germany and Illinois, and a Colonel of the U.S. Army during the Civil War. He was a friend of Abraham Lincoln and served as a pall bearer for Lincoln's funeral.

Jack LeChien, from the The Koerner House Restoration Committee, tells the story. The house was built in 1849 and is currently being restored.

Saturday, June 6, 2015


Abraham Lincoln’s body arrived in New York City, April 24, in 1865,

A young teenage boy went to pay his respects and, gazing on the deceased President’s face, he was so moved that he got back in line to see it again.

This was quite an endeavour since the funeral in New York was meant to outmatch everything that had happened before. 
And with a grand viewing just a day earlier in Philadelphia, where the open casket was placed inside Independence Hall and next to the Liberty Bell, where Lincoln had vowed four years earlier that he would rather be assasinated than give up his principles, it was not an easy thing to do.

Yet, New york City, proved itself to be The Grand and organized a funeral that was so spectacular that it drew more than 500.000 visitors - roughly 200.00 more than Philadelphia - and the waiting lines were long.

Abraham Lincoln was 23 hours in New York and the young boy, mentioned earlier, by the name of Augustus did not care about the wait. He just waited.
Much slower than on his first visit youmg Augustus shuffeled by the open casket to once again take a long look at the deceased President’s face.
And he never forgot what he had seen!

32 years later, young Augustus - by then well known as the sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens - created what is nowadays known as “the most important Lincoln Statue of the 19th century”… the Standing Lincoln or, as he named it “Lincoln: The Man”.

It can be seen in Chicago’s Lincoln Park, at Lincoln’s tomb in Springfiel, IL and in London where it faces Parliament Square.

Apparently it proves to take a second look.

The Clothes That Abraham Lincoln Was Wearing The Day He Was Shot

The Clothes That Abraham Lincoln Was Wearing The Day He Was Shot

The night Lincoln was assassinated, he attended Ford’s Theatre wearing the frock coat, waistcoat, trousers, tie and boots pictured here. Black with little adornment, the suit was typical for a well-dressed man of 1865. Both the suit and size 14 shin-high boots are testimony to Lincoln’s height. At 6 feet 4 inches, he is to this day America’s tallest president.

From The Civil War Parlor on Tumblr

Recreating Lincoln's funeral carriage

By   Published March 20, 2015

Former soldiers from around the country are working on a recreation of President Lincoln's funeral hearse, nearly 130 years after it was destroyed in a fire.

The project is a labor of love for veterans, who have done their part and passed it along to the next soldier-turned-craftsman in preparation for the 150th anniversary of Honest Abe's funeral. Recently, the death carriage was in Eureka, Calif., at the Blue Ox Millwork's School for Veterans, a nonprofit teaches craftsmanship skills to returning soldiers.

At Blue Ox, Vietnam veteran and millworks owner Eric Hollenbeck led a team of nine Afghanistan and Iraq vets in their effort to help restore the vehicle that carried the body of Lincoln. The idea is not just to rebuild the hearse, but to help veterans bond and re-integrate into society.

"The biggest thing that this hearse project is giving the veterans is a sense of self-identity, a returning combat veteran has to find a new civilian identity. And these guys and gals did that," Hollenbeck told Fox News.

Hollenbeck says the process of completing a project helps bring focus and therapy to the team, while also giving them skills that can help them find jobs.


"Working with your hands is one healing aspect of the project," said Hollenbeck.

The hearse's next stop is Tombstone, Arizona, where Vietnam veteran Jack Feather and his team will finish the job. Completing Lincoln's lavish, ostrich feather-adorned hearse has been a difficult process. The original was destroyed in a stable fire in 1887. The team has only one picture of Lincoln's hearse to work from, and most of the components used just aren't around anymore.

"Finding out what goes into this thing has been a challenge," said Feather, "Just figuring out the dimensions- that took months. I went everywhere trying to find someone who would build a 16-spoke rear wheel. They said they didn't exist."

They eventually found wheel craftsman Jay Jones, a Kentucky resident and Vietnam veteran, who built them from scratch.

Project coordinator P.J. Staab said they didn't set out to make this an 'all-veterans' project when they got the hearse request from the Lincoln Funeral Coalition. But that's exactly what it became. 

"This thing started to take a shape all by itself, without any prompting from anyone," said Staab. 

Feather estimates the total cost of materials needed for the project will come to $40,000. The Lincoln Funeral Coalition covers those costs, but the vets give their labor free of charge.

The hearse will be the centerpiece of a May 1-3 funeral reenactment in Springfield, Illinois. More than 250,000 people are expected to attend.

From Fox News

Spencer Bronson

Spencer Bronson figured the gunshot he heard was part of the play

Since enlisting in Company B of the Wisconsin 7th Infantry, he had heard many gunshots. Bronson fought valiantly throughout the Civil War with the Iron Brigade — he was captured at Gettysburg, wounded in several battles and still carried a bullet in his right hip when he was sent to a hospital to convalesce. That’s how he ended up in Washington, D.C., at the end of the war.

When Bronson read in a newspaper that President Abraham Lincoln, General Ulysses S. Grant and their wives were going to see “Our American Cousin” at Ford’s Theatre that evening, April 14, 1865, Bronson bought a ticket and walked three blocks from the hospital to the theater.

In chilling detail Bronson wrote to his sister Amanda Bronson back home in Fall River, Wis., what happened next:

Continue reading "Spencer Bronson" »

Lincoln's coat


  • Tumblr_inline_njf4oucLYo1r8a9cp
  • Tumblr_inline_njf4ocy5Nv1r8a9cp
  • Tumblr_inline_njf4nrSXoS1r8a9cp

 It has not been on display since 2011 and will be only for a short time this spring.

In 1865, Abraham Lincoln ordered an overcoat for his second inauguration from the clothing company Brooks Brothers.

Brooks Brothers, founded in 1818, is an American institution - a ready-made clothing manufacturer located in New York. The company was a key player in the uniform business of the civil war. Situated in the heart of the city, the building was nearly destroyed during the earlier draft riots.

Lincoln was a frequent customer of Brooks Brothers and in honor of his second inauguration, and as a promotion for the store, they made him a very special, elaborate overcoat. The coat was displayed in the Brooks Brothers store window as advertisement before finally being presented to Mr. Lincoln.

The spectacular overcoat is a double-breasted coat made of the fine wool with silk edging around the outside of the collar, cuffs and pockets. Almost the entire inside of the coat is hand-quilted.

The right and left interior front panels feature the design of an eagle symbol holding two streamers with the words “One Country, One Destiny”.

Continue reading "Lincoln's coat" »

The Exhumation Of Lincoln’s Body 1901


  • Tumblr_nik7wzfjDR1rd3evlo3_250
  • Tumblr_nik7wzfjDR1rd3evlo2_400
  • Tumblr_nik7wzfjDR1rd3evlo1_540


The Exhumation Of Lincoln’s Body 1901

Remembering the 1876 incident where a gang of men tried to steal his fathers body, Robert Lincoln wanted to ensure that no one would ever be able to disturb the resting place of his father. So he ordered that the coffin be placed in a cage some ten feet below ground and encased in concrete. The body was exhumed in 1901…This is the recounting of what happened…

In 1928, one of the witnesses who viewed the body, J. C. Thompson, said: “As I came up I saw that top-knot of Mr. Lincoln’s, his hair was coarse and thick, like a horse’s, he used to say, and it stood up high in front. When I saw that, I knew that it was Mr. Lincoln. Anyone who had ever seen his pictures would have known it was him. His features had not decayed. He looked just like a statue of himself lying there.” Another witness, Fleetwood Lindley, who was just thirteen when he saw the body, was the last of the twenty-three witnesses to pass away. Just before his death in 1963, he said in an interview: “Yes, his face was chalky white. His clothes were mildewed. And I was allowed to hold one of the leather straps as we lowered the casket for the concrete to be poured. I was not scared at the time, but I slept with Lincoln for the next six months.”

Credit for the condition of Lincoln’s body must go to undertaker Dr. Charles D. Brown, of the firm Brown and Alexander. Assisted by Harry P. Cattell, Brown embalmed the president’s body, first draining Lincoln’s blood through his jugular vein. Then, an incision was made in his thigh and the embalming fluids were pumped in, hardening the body like marble. Brown and Cattell then shaved the president’s face, leaving behind a tuft on the chin. They set the mouth in a slight smile and arched his eyebrows. They then dressed the president in his suit. The condition of Lincoln’s body supported the claims made in a Brown and Alexander advertising flyer, which touted the benefits of their patented embalming procedure over other methods of preserving bodies: “…the mortal remains will be kept in the most perfect and natural preservation, and that cherished countenance looked at once more, by those who may be led to remember and repeat these holy words of consolation: ‘He is not dead but sleepeth,’ until we meet again in a better world.”

Photo Credit :

From the CivilWarParlor on Tumblr